So the last experiment I did was a quick interview with Lisa who tells her story behind her tattoo. The tattoo is dedicated to her father who sadly lost his life to suicide when she was just 12 years old. I thought it would be quiet touching and effective to have some old footage of Lisa and her Dad to use as cut aways as she speaks of her relationship with him and her journey to accepting his death.
Seen as when Lisa was born in 1994, there was no such thing as DVD’s, only VCR tapes….THE HORROR!! So this meant I had to go through each tape individually and find something that I could use.
The only videos I had at the time were old videos from family holidays so they will do for now as it is just an experiment but I will have 100’s more videos to go through between now and the final prototype!!
Here you can watch the same interview of Lisa with the addition of the old footage cutaways.
After taking the feedback on board from last week I decided to reach out to Lisa, a friend of mine who has a tattoo dedicated to her dad who sadly committed suicide when she was just 12 years old. She talks of what the tattoo means to her and how she felt for many years after his death.
When I presented this prototype video to Ian, Niamh and the other students in my group I got the reaction I wanted. Through Lisa being totally open and honest about her feelings and her tattoo, the people connected with her and got emotional when hearing of the sad loss of her dad. That is always my goal. Not necessarily to make people cry but to definitely make them feel some kind of emotion. If you don’t sympathise or relate to “character” then what’s the point in you watching it?
Now this is a very, very, very rough cut of what will be a more structured interview for the actual project but it was an opportunity for me to see what works and what doesn’t? What framing works? What type of filming works i.e. looking down the camera or looking to me as she talks? Is the lighting ok? Is the background ok? What about sound? Yes there are some technical problems in it but by seeing these now hopefully I’ll be able to rectify it by January!
One massive plus I took from this is the fact that after showing Ian and Niamh this prototype, they both have confidence in my ability as a filmmaker and believe I will be able to achieve my final goal of a great documentary.
I was kind of lucky in a way this week as I had a lab with Ian that asked us to create a multicam clip from footage we shot together last Friday. Now some may say this was cheating, I say lets have less of that negativity please! Anyways, I thought this would be beneficial to me for many reasons
- Firstly I had to understand the usage of multicam and how it works when it comes to editing. This is important to me as in most documentaries multicams are used to avoid a series of floating heads on screen!
- Secondly I had to come up with a narrative in this lab, different to the other people in my group. I found this quiet difficult but managed to somehow make it work as there were parts of footage I could not use and I didn’t have cut aways, a learning curve all the same!
- Thirdly, and finally, I got to use this footage then to mess around with different possibilities for introducing people on camera such as freeze frames and different tempo music which ultimately creates the tone!
Although it was said that I did a good job, I soon realised that wasn’t really the type of experiment I should have spent my time doing. Yes it shows i can use different tools in Premier pro but if I was to show another lecturer that short video, they would still be non the wiser to what my project is all about. – This is when the penny dropped!
I needed to be experimenting using actually people that are going to be in my documentary. People actually talking about their tattoo and the story behind it. Someone who talk for 2-3 minutes and manage to allow the viewers see what my final project should be like. I needed to be talking to more and more people for my project now and get prototype interviews with them that I can present in January and hopefully be able to inform the other lecturers on what my project is all about!
Here’s the experiment with multicam anyway, even though it’s not much use to me for my prototype, it still helped me get my head around important tools I will need to use in the coming months!